South Oregon Orthopedics and Paragon Orthopedic Center logos

What do you do when you dislocate your shoulder?

misc image

What do you do when you dislocate your shoulder?

You’re sliding into second base and your shoulder pops out.  You fall down unexpectedly and feel your shoulder pop.  You see someone who has been in a car accident and they can’t move their arm.  What do you do?  You will definitely need to promptly seek a healthcare professional’s assessment of your shoulder.  An x-ray will show whether your shoulder has been dislocated and if any other bones have been fractured.  While you are waiting to get that professional help, here are two things you can do:

  • Ice the shoulder-this will reduce pain and swelling
  • Keep your shoulder from moving by immobilizing it-splint or sling the shoulder as it is to prevent any further damage to the tissues and blood vessels.  DO NOT TRY TO PUT IT BACK IN PLACE.

An orthopedic surgeon is who you want to be looking at those x-rays and diagnose your problems.  Dr. Bents and Dr. Van Horne have treated many of these over the years.  They have a combined 50+ years of experience and know exactly what is best for you.  They want to get you back to great health as soon as possible and their knowledge can reassure you that you’re getting the best care in Southern Oregon.  The Paragon Orthopedic Center in Grants Pass is very good at getting you in quickly for emergent situations such as these.  You can read more in this article from The Mayo Clinic about shoulder dislocations.

Southern Oregon Orthopedics & Paragon Orthopedic Center